Even if you have a unique product or service, before long, it’s inevitable that your company will be joined by others. With the advent of social media, it seems that it’s getting harder and harder to stand out from the crowd.
Marketers have tried to address this by carving out niches and splashy campaigns. Or by creating a Purple Cow.
Another approach with multiple advantages is to incorporate impact in your strategy and marketing. I define impact as the point where your and your company’s uniqueness meet the world and make it a better place for all of us.
Here are 10 ways that impact can give your company an even better competitive edge:
- In today’s marketplace, people at a variety of ages are focused on what a company is doing in the larger world. Is it contributing? Is it helping to make the world a better place? People over 40 years of age are showing an increasing interest in legacy, what they want to show for their time here. Millennials want to make a difference with their purchases and their work. Your focus on impact will draw those customers and tilt their buying decisions in your favor.
- In a crowded market and in those with established and well-regarded players, it’s difficult to enter by merit alone or even by leveraging connections. Impact can give you that distinctive edge to set up the initial meeting, and be considered along with the long-time residents in that market.
- Your focus on impact in strategy and marketing helps your company thrive. Companies that focus on impact have 12-14 times more income than those that are profit-only focused. A thriving company has more flexibility in your marketing spend and in your hires, which can contribute to a greater presence in the market.
- You avoid being regarded as a commodity company. If you are forced to compete in a commodity market, your profit margins narrow and managing your business finances becomes a great deal more challenging. Impact provides you with a unique value proposition.
- Impact-focused companies have been shown to be more sustainable. With that sustainability, your longevity in the marketplace can give you a competitive edge, as long as you continue to serve the needs of your customers.
- Value for all stakeholders increases with a focus on impact. That heightened value is perceived by your customers as a thriving business that won’t let them down.
- Similarly, market valuation goes up with a focus on impact, as your business thrives.
- If you choose to focus on impact, your company makes a positive difference with your employees, your community, and even the larger world. Let people know about it, and you enhance the perceived value of your company, as well as increasing visibility.
When you nurture a company culture that helps people flourish, to have
their own impact, you create an engaged workforce and a group of
inspired and committed marketers. Word of mouth marketing by your
employees is an invaluable asset that you can encourage with a
consistent focus on your intended impact.
. The shared big picture helps everyone to stop dwelling on the problem and move on.
With an impact focus in your marketing and customer conversations, you can be different and noticeable. It gives you a competitive advantage with customers in their buying decisions.